Here’s everything you need to make a Flip Flop Cake for your next party!
- 1 oblong seedless watermelon
- Cupcake icing tubes in various colors
- Paper and pencil for outlining
- Small knife for spreading
- Decorative cookie cutters
- Vanilla cake frosting or heavy yogurt
- Rinse the watermelon under cool running water, pat dry and have clean cutting services and utensils.
- On a piece of paper, draw out the shape of a flip-flop. Use the scissors to cut the outline and set it aside. You may want more than one cutout, as the juicy watermelon will dampen your template.
- Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise. Using the knife, carefully remove the rind from each half. From the rind pieces, cut thin green strips for the thong of the flip-flop.
- Take the flip-flop outline and set it on top of the watermelon flesh. Carefully trace the outline with the your knife. Do this to both halves of the watermelon. Then trim each flip-flop for an even 4-inch “cake.”
- Use the small cookie cutters for shapes to decorate the flip-flop using the excess watermelon flesh. We used little flowers.
- You should now be looking at 2 flip-flop cutouts. Spread the cake frosting over top of each flip-flop. Use the cupcake frosting to add stripes or designs of your choosing over the cake
- Put the thin strips of rind on top to make the thong and secure with toothpicks. Add the cookie cutter cutout in between the strips of rind and attach with a toothpick broken in half.
- Optional, place flip flops on serving tray or large plate and spread brown sugar around the base to complete your beach look.
– See more at: http://www.watermelon.org/Carvings/Flip-Flop-Cake